Friday, January 06, 2006

"Don't mistake paradise for a pair of long legs"

I can't believe it, but I just saw Some Kind of Wonderful (1987) for the first time ever over this morning's coffee. This teen movie is like Sixteen Candles meets I Shot Andy Warhol. Mary Stuart Masterson plays (yet another) lesbian-inflected straight girl (love that). But she's got a crush on sensitive artist Eric Stoltz who plays Dante to Lea Thompson's Beatrice.

I wouldn't count this entertaining if she hadn't told Dante: "Don't mistake paradise for a pair of long legs!" I'm not going to say this teen philosopher nailed the crux of a Metaphysical Horror. But isn't it kinda true that instead of a vision of ideal femininity, what most men really get is lotsa gawky genderphuck and plucky little tomboys in men's boxers? OMG! Mary was so cayoot!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home