Saturday, February 04, 2006

Nothing happened but everything changed

Personal mythology, an attempt to account for the accidents of birthplace and time? My place, a town named La Moure. Probably a French surname, La Moure looks and sounds like love, and that spelling has a queer "e" on the end. My time, 45 days after the French student and worker rebellions of May 1968. I get a tingly feeling looking at the political posters of the time. My favorite had a sense of humor: "We are all undesirables!"

More than 30 years later, the French remember May '68 strangely as a time when "nothing happened" but "everything changed." Or so writes Kristin Ross in her book May '68 and its Afterlives. I'm reading Ross, because thinking about that time is one of my silly hobbies about personal mythology, but also because the times, they are a changin.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

It just occured to me that birth place and time are probably not mostly historical accidents ... but in my case I think maybe it was >>> wink <<< wink >>>

10:01 PM  
Blogger GayProf said...

Any place with a queer "e" is cool by me.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Aethlos said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEAUTIFUL!

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home