Friday, February 17, 2006

Rhapsody on Crash (2004)

Allow me this rhapsody on Crash (2004) which I finished last night well after midnight. I have two votes for the academy's consideration.

DON CHEADLE
I tap Don Cheadle for best actor in Crash. Spot-on performance as this generation's martyred man. A truly decent person beset by the demons in other people. His brother, momma, partner, the system, all dragging down a morally strong man. Somebody please buy that man a drink!

THANDIE NEWTON
I give Thandie Newton a best actress tap in Crash. The girl is gorgeous. I first noticed her in The Truth About Charlie where she played next to Mark Walberg in a remake of Charade (1963) starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn....so going off topic...I would tell you that Thandie channeled Audrey in Charlie, but that cannot begin to describe what she did with Audrey's original persona...so pardon me while I offend Audrey's fan base...but Thandie raised the bar over Audrey's juvenile charm by doing the impossible. She added to Audrey's feminine innocence just a touch of something naturalistic and amoral - a very wet and incendiary secktual energy - all the while capturing Audrey's sweetness, vulnerability, and effervescence. She was incredibly seductive next to that secks hammer Marky Mark. And how charming was it to end this movie with Charles Aznavour serenading the couple while they danced through the closing credits on the sidewalks of Paris? OMG!

Now back to Crash. Imagine Thandie playing Audrey as Martha in Virginia Woolf, and you've got her character in Crash. She played out the contradictions of an hysterical and married secktual libertine by bringing her good man down. Now...good movies get me talking to the screen...so you could have heard me last night telling her, "Honey, you can't pork a ham and have it say grace at the dinner table! So sistuh, you better treat your man with a little respect!" lol

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. OK. I'll give and see 'Crash'...
(But it can't be no 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf'.)

5:42 PM  
Blogger GayProf said...

It took me a long time to realize that Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf was really about gay men that just happened to have a few women actors.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home